Places in Washington County
Click on any photo below to enlarge and to learn more about the image.
New Salem Baptist Church
Farmland in the Washington College area of the county
Washington County Poor Farm Building (no longer in use)
Fall Branch United Methodist Church
Harmony School was built in 1939 and had only four rooms.
The Johnson Lodge, No. 274, F. & A.M. was organized in 1858. This building was completed in 1869 and the Lodge is still active.
Fall Branch Elementary School
Fairview United Methodist Church and Cemetery, near Jonesborough
Glendale School, near Limestone
Doors on an old store in Fall Branch.
Douglas Shed Church, near Gray
Jackson School off A. A. Deakins Road, near Bethany Church, Gray. The school was closed in 1933 due to declining enrollment.
St. John Milling Company, Watauga Road.
Pleasant Valley Church of the Brethren
Gillespie Stone House, Limestone
Hales Chapel Church and Cemetery, Gray
The Byrd Brown House is located in the Lamar community. The home was built in 1839. Byrd Brown was the grandson of Jacob Brown, Sr., one of the earliest settlers on the Nolichucky River.
Kincheloe Mill, Harmony Community
Edward West house, located near the Nolichucky River.
Fall Branch Baptist Church (congregation moved to a new building)
Fall Branch Falls–property owners no longer allow access to the seventy-five feet waterfall. The Morgan family had a mill at the top of the falls.
The Girls Dormitory at Washington College Academy was built in 1842, remodeled in 1962 and is now known as Harris Hall.
Nolichucky River, photo taken from the Jackson Bridge.
Harmony Grocery was built in 1909 by J. H. Cox and Monroe Fulkerson for 50 cents a day wages.
Mitchell Springs School in the Harmony Community was in operation from 1894 – 1939.
Buffalo Ridge Church, built in 1778 was the first Baptist Church in Tennessee and stood on this site. The first pastor was Tidence Lane who organized the church.
Douglas Shed School, near Gray was in operation by the mid 1870’s. It was later known as Evening Star School and was closed in 1932. (building no longer on the site)
The “Boone Tree” said to have been carved by Daniel Boone during one of his treks through our area.
Dungan house, near the St. John Milling Company
Knob Creek Church of the Brethren
The DaVault Tavern, old stagecoachstop stop
Back to Photo Gallery