NEW WEBSITE SERIES!
Hidden Voices is an occasional series that will appear on this website highlighting documents uncovered in the archives, which you may find interesting. Certainly, the stories the records tell are unique. With over 250 years of records, there are a multitude of potential stories that help document the history of Washington County. The Hidden Voices series will emphasize the stories and people history has forgotten or never knew.
Margaret Lee’s Plea
The first in the series is Margaret Lee’s story, a free woman of color in colonial Boston kidnapped and sold into slavery in Tennessee. The story is told in her own words. The link to this story may be found on the “Hidden Voices” tab at the top of the page.
Archived News Articles
- Kozsuch, W.A.G.S Donations Honor John Kiener, Add Important Set to Book Collection (21 Aug 2017)
- County Trustee Records Now Available (2 Aug 2017)
- Dr. William E. Kennedy Donates Historic Books (13 Jul 2017)
- County Archives Website Opens (23 Jun 2017)
- Mildred Kozsuch Memorial and Obituary (8 Jun 2017)
- Hawkins County Genealogical and Historical Society Visitors (8 Jun 2017)
- Historic County Records Come Home (27 Apr 2017)
- Archives First Visitors Are From Korea (24 Apr 2017)
- Reading Room Now Open to Researchers (18 Apr 2017)
- County Documents on Display at Chester Inn (10 Apr 2017)
- County Archives Building Dedicated (01 Apr 2017)
- County Holiday Schedule