COUNTY ARCHIVE HOSTS STATE ARCHIVISTS ANNUAL MEETING
The Washington County Archives hosted the annual meeting of the Society of Tennessee Archivists in Jonesborough on November 1-3, 2017. This was the 40th anniversary of the society’s first meeting, and approximately 50 archivists attended. Being held at the International Storytelling Center, this year’s conference brought together archive and records manager professionals from all across the state. It has been about 20 years since the STA last met in upper East Tennessee. Part of the reason for the visit is to honor Tennessee’s newest archive in its oldest county.
The conference theme was “Archives in Action: Activism and Advocacy.” A pre-conference workshop on November 1st focused on educational outreach by archives to teachers and students in the classroom. The sessions on November 2nd included a look at the work the Kingsport City Archives did in celebrating that city’s 100th anniversary this year; a look back at the 40 year history of the STA; developing searchable microfilmed images; and an examination of the thesis of “more product, less process” in the archive field, among other topics covered.
Best-selling author Sharyn McCrumb was the keynote speaker for the conference’s Thursday night banquet. The author of such acclaimed works as King’s Mountain, The Ballad of Tom Dooley, and most recently The Unquiet Grave, among many others, McCrumb explained the many ways she has used archives and historical research in the writing of her novels set in southern Appalachia.
On Friday, County Archivist Ned Irwin presented a program on Washington County history using historic documents from the archive collection. The conference concluded with a tour for participants of the Washington County Archives building. Display cases were filled with many interesting county documents covering topics from colonial British America and the Watauga Association period down to World War I.
Archived News Articles
- Tennessee Archives Month (2 Oct 2017)
- Betty Jane Hylton – DAR Award (11 Oct 2017)
- New — Map Collection (3 Oct 2017)
- New Website Series – Hidden Voices (5 Sep 2017)
- Kozsuch, W.A.G.S Donations Honor John Kiener, Add Important Set to Book Collection (21 Aug 2017)
- County Trustee Records Now Available (2 Aug 2017)
- Dr. William E. Kennedy Donates Historic Books (13 Jul 2017)
- County Archives Website Opens (23 Jun 2017)
- Mildred Kozsuch Memorial and Obituary (8 Jun 2017)
- Hawkins County Genealogical and Historical Society Visitors (8 Jun 2017)
- Historic County Records Come Home (27 Apr 2017)
- Archives First Visitors Are From Korea (24 Apr 2017)
- Reading Room Now Open to Researchers (18 Apr 2017)
- County Documents on Display at Chester Inn (10 Apr 2017)
- County Archives Building Dedicated (01 Apr 2017)
- County Holiday Schedule