ARCHIVES HOSTS VOLUNTEER APPRECIATION DAY
During 2016 and 2017, thirteen volunteers contributed many hours of service to the Washington County Archives. These volunteers were honored for that service at the department’s first ever Volunteer Appreciation Day held at the archives on Tuesday, December 19th, 2017.
Since July 1, 2016 to the present, volunteers have given over 1,800 hours of their time in service to the archives. This is the equivalent of having another full-time employee for 48 weeks or almost one year! Active volunteers during the period included Mike Briggs, Georgia Greer, Janette Guinn, Shirley Hinds, Margaret Hougland, Betty Jane Hylton, Gary and Mary Alice Irwin, Kyle Johnson, Jessica Newell, Lisa Shockley, Jewell Susong, and Nancy Trivett.
County Archivist Ned Irwin presented each volunteer with a certificate of appreciation on behalf of the county and the department signed by County Mayor Dan Eldridge and Irwin. A trivia game involving questions from the archives holdings and Washington County history was played; there was good conversation; wonderful refreshments; and much fun was had by all. And after all the fun, they all went back to work.
The archives could not function as effectively as it does without the help of these volunteers. We are always looking for new volunteers to join them. If you have an interest in volunteering, please contact Ned Irwin at 753-0393 or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
See photos of the party by clicking on: Volunteers and Staff
Archived News Articles
- County Archives Host Society of Tennessee Archivists (6 Nov 2017)
- Tennessee Archives Month (2 Oct 2017)
- Betty Jane Hylton – DAR Award (11 Oct 2017)
- New — Map Collection (3 Oct 2017)
- New Website Series – Hidden Voices (5 Sep 2017)
- Kozsuch, W.A.G.S Donations Honor John Kiener, Add Important Set to Book Collection (21 Aug 2017)
- County Trustee Records Now Available (2 Aug 2017)
- Dr. William E. Kennedy Donates Historic Books (13 Jul 2017)
- County Archives Website Opens (23 Jun 2017)
- Mildred Kozsuch Memorial and Obituary (8 Jun 2017)
- Hawkins County Genealogical and Historical Society Visitors (8 Jun 2017)
- Historic County Records Come Home (27 Apr 2017)
- Archives First Visitors Are From Korea (24 Apr 2017)
- Reading Room Now Open to Researchers (18 Apr 2017)
- County Documents on Display at Chester Inn (10 Apr 2017)
- County Archives Building Dedicated (01 Apr 2017)
- County Holiday Schedule