Places in Johnson City
Click on any photo below to enlarge and to learn more about the image.
Memorial Hospital entrace, Boone Street.
Central Fire Hall, built in 1929.
Pepsi Cola Bottling Plant
Massengill Historical Monument now located in Winged Deer Park, near the ball fields.
Johnson City Post Office
The General Mills Building began operation in 1909 as the Model Mill. The mill’s daily capacity was 1000 barrels of flour, 3000 bushels of meal and 100,000 pounds of feed.
The Robert Young Cabin is the oldest standing dwelling in Johnson City. It was built in 1776 near Brush Creek and was moved to Winged Deer Park in 1996.
Johnson City Airport
Knob Creek Church of the Brethren
Burlington Mills, previously known as Klopman Mills in Johnson City.
The Charles Duncan House was built before 1777 and is on the property of the Knob Creek Historical Museum in Johnson City.
Doughboy Monument at Memorial Park, Johnson City.
Montrose Court Apartments, often called “Little Chicago.”
Vietnam War Memorial
Bashor Mill on Knob Creek was built in the 1830’s and was in operation until the 1950’s.
Knob Creek Museum – main building and caboose. Visitors by appointment.
Langston School, an African-American School was established in 1893. The last class graduated in 1965, due to court-ordered desegregation. Much of the building has been demolished. Only the brick arch and the gymnasium remain.
The home at Tipton-Haynes was built around 1783 by Colonel John Tipton. The farm was the site of the “Battle of the Lost State of Franklin” in 1788.
The Massengill Monument once stood downtown at the intersection of Roan Street and the Bristol Highway. It is now near the ballparks at Winged Deer Park.
Summers-Parrott Hardware, downtown Johnson City. Postcard undated.
Return to Photo Gallery